The Grand Lodge of Masons of Maine is pleased to announce our new “Master Mason Rookie Award” as part of a new, focused commitment to membership engagement and getting our new members involved in their respective blue lodges.
Criteria for Earning Maine’s Masonic Rookie Award
Eleven items must be accomplished within the first year after being raised.
- Attend the conferral of each blue lodge degree at least once, by your own or another lodge
- Attend at least one stated or special communication of another lodge in the district
- Attend at least seven stated or special communications of the lodge
- Work on at least one lodge / building association social activity or fund raising event
- Assist lodge officers at least once in setting up the lodge room and preparing / serving the lodge dinner or collation
Alternates (choose six of the following):
- Sponsor at least one candidate into your own or another lodge
- Participate in the conferral of a blue lodge degree or the delivery of the candidate charge
- Work on a lodge open house or fellowship night
- Organize or work on one lodge public service event, e.g. Bikes for Books, Angel Fund, MyCHIP Program, Blood Drive, Food Drive
- Attend district schools of instruction
- Attend a Masonic memorial service
- Serve on at least one committee of inquiry
- Assist or visit a non-related shut it / hospitalized lodge brother or widow
- Attend a meeting of the Masonic building association
- Submit a Masonic or lodge related article for publication in the Maine Mason
- Attend an educational program sponsored by the Maine Masonic College
- Join with other Masons in a Masonic activity approved in advance by the Grand Master
The future of our fraternity and our ability to continue to grow our membership is highly dependent on being able to engage and integrate our new members into the activities of the lodge. When new members become involved and active in their respective lodges they become the best prospects for new candidates for that lodge.
The Master Mason Rookie Award is an official means by which we can achieve these membership goals. Attached is a checklist for the Master Mason Rookie Award. Once it has been completed and signed off by the Master of the lodge and DDGM, it is to be submitted by the Lodge Secretary to the Grand Master’s Office for his review and approval. Once approved, the recipient can receive his award (Grand Lodge Certificate signed by the Grand Master and affixed with the Grand Lodge seal and Master Mason Rookie Award lapel pin) at the next visit of the District Deputy Grand Master.
Download the Check List and send a completed form, along with a cover letter, stating why the proposed candidate for the Rookie Award is worthy of receiving this award, to: The Grand Secretary, Grand Lodge of Maine, PO Box 430, Holden, Maine, 04429-0430.